My name is Sue Weaver. I began writing professionally in 1969 when my first article was published in The Western Horseman magazine. Since then I’ve written hundreds of published articles. I first specialized in horse magazines and then publications affiliated with Hobby Farms magazine. I’ve also written twelve books for mainline publishing houses: five in the Hobby Farms series for Lumina Media (a.k.a. Bowtie Press and i-5 Publishing) and seven for Storey Publishing. Now I’m writing and self-publishing ebooks. All of my books to date relate to livestock or poultry including pigs, goats, sheep, cattle, chickens, donkeys, llamas, and alpacas. I am a self-taught writer.
I live on a 29-acre property in the southern Ozarks with my husband of 44 years and a large animal family comprised of horses, full-size and miniature; a donkey; a llama; Miniature Cheviot and hair sheep, as well as one Scottish Blackface ram; Boer, Nubian, Alpine, Sable, Lamancha, Nigerian Dwarf, MiniMancha, MiniMyotonic, and mixed breed goats; a tame razorback hog; chickens; guinea fowl; and a passel of dogs, most of whom are former rescues.
The money I earn from writing is used to buy animal feed and pay vet bills. Thank you for reading this blog and buying my books!
~ My print books ~
Chickens; Tending a Small-Scale Flock, 2nd Edition (Lumina Media; 2005 and 2011)
Sheep; Small-Scale Sheep Keeping for Pleasure and Profit (Lumina Media; 2005)
Goats; Small-Scale Herding for Pleasure and Profit (Lumina Media; 2006)
Llamas and Alpacas; Keeping a Small-Scale Camelid Herd (Lumina Media; 2009)
* Storey’s Guide to Raising Meat Goats; Managing, Breeding, Marketing, 2nd Edition [written under her pen name, Maggie Sayer] (Storey Publishing; 2007 and 2010)
* The Donkey Companion; Selecting, Training, Breeding, Enjoying and Caring for Donkeys (Storey Publishing; 2008)
* Storey’s Guide to Raising Miniature Livestock: Goats, Sheep, Donkeys, Pigs, Horses, Cattle, Llamas (Storey Publishing; 2010)
* The Backyard Goat; an Introductory Guide to Keeping and Enjoying Pet Goats, from Feeding and Housing to Making Your Own Cheese (Storey Publishing; 2011)
* The Backyard Cow; an Introductory Guide to Keeping a Productive Family Cow (Storey Publishing; 2012)
* The Backyard Sheep; an Introductory Guide to Keeping Productive Pet Sheep (Storey Publishing; 2013)
* Homegrown Pork; Humane, Healthful Techniques for Raising a Pig for Food (Storey Publishing; 2013)
Mini-Goats: Everything You Need to Know to Keep Miniature Goats in the City, Country, or Suburbs (Lumina Media; 2016)
* Note: I earn royalties on these books—please check them out!
~ My ebooks ~
Goat Tips & Tricks; 500+ ways to take care of goats better, easier, cheaper – Volume 1
Horse Tips & Tricks; Hundreds of Ways to Care for Your Horse Better, Safer, Faster, Cheaper – Volume 1
Thrifty Horse Keeping; Buying and Keeping Horses without Going Broke; Volume 1 – Buy the Right Horse
More coming soon!